Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
DUSTIN NICKERSON – MR. PATIENT [EP. 121]
Today’s episode with Dustin Nickerson is brought to you by our Patreon Sponsors. And also by AUDIBLE.COM, where you can download a free audio book and enjoy a free 30 day trial by going to www.AudibleTrial.com/SchoolOfLaughs.
Dustin Nickerson is a San Diego based comedian. He’s clean, clever and committed to the journey and wherever it may lead. At 31 years old he is married with there kids. He and his wife work at a SALVATION ARMY Recreation Center and he pursues stand-up comedy on the side.
- We cover a lot of ground in this episode, including:
- Seeing Mike Bribiglia and Michael Ian Black while in College (University of Washington)
- Absorbing a ton of Comedy Central Half Hour Specials
- Moving to San Diego from Seattle to work at another church
- Checking off stand-up comedy from his bucket list
- Catching the comedy bug after his first 3 minute set
- How his curiosity fueled his development
- The benefit of being a little older and understanding the business side of things
- The need to be excellent especially when at a new club
- How hard work, timing and dumb luck all play into getting booked
- Why not to be overeager when you are just starting out
- How many funnier comics are ahead of Dustin Nickerson in L.A.
- The “Ferris Wheel” of obligation
- The hard work of being an EMCEE for events outside of the club
- Why he’s in no hurry to go “full time”
- The NEGATIVE aspects of going full time
- The goals he has as he works his way towards being excellent
- And then we both offer up some new comedy concepts to work on in the next few weeks
About Dustin Nickerson
Dustin Nickerson performs in clubs, colleges, corporate events, churches, casinos, and colleges throughout the country. Dustin brings you into his life through his jokes about marriage, kids, culture, childhood, and being called “Justin” his whole life. Original, candid, poignant, observational, relatable, and engaging are words often used to describe Dustin’s brand of comedy.
Born and raised in Seattle, but now adjusting to life in Southern California, Dustin is a humble yet intelligent comic. He’s been seen on the Fox, the PBS Comedy Hour, Hulu, Rooftop Comedy, ComedyTime TV, UT-TV, and is a weekend regular at dozens of clubs across the country. He’s showcased for Comedy Central Up Next, the Christian Comedy Association National Conference, has been heard on the Daren Streblow Comedy Show, KSDW 88.9FM, as well as the Scott and BR Show on 1090AM.
He describes himself as “the world’s most average person” but is far from it when on stage.