Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
Six Kids, A Full Time Job & No Excuses [EP. 143]
This week I sit down with Shawn Reynolds to discuss how you have to find a way to perform no matter what. He knows, with a house full of kids and running his own retail store - time is precious. No excuses, just jokes and persistence will get the job done.
We cover a lot of ground, including:
- Meeting at Comedy Off Broadway in Lexington, KY
- His "Stand-Up For Kentucky" fundraisers
- Managing 6 kids (ages 17, 15, 12, 8, 8 & 1) and running a business
- How there is no full time success with part time effort
- How learning comedy is like becoming a doctor
- What Apollo Creed taught Shawn about comedy
- Performing clean comedy in tough rooms
- What a cry room at church actually is and why a comic could use one
- What a story about swimming taught Rik about perseverance
- Advice I got from Jeff Gilstrap, former owner of Comedy Off Broadway
- How a supportive wife can make all the difference
- How advice from your friends can go either way
- How he is the second most famous Shawn Reynolds in his own house
- Why the early part of a show can be like throwing darts
- How to endear yourself to the audience
- Turning down shows that aren't right
- Finding out where your comedy should take you
- Raising money for others through comedy
Check out Shawn on YOUTUBE!
CLUB 52 IS THE ONLY WEEKLY PROGRAM
DESIGNED 100% FOR COMEDIANS!
"Club 52" is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.