Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
STAND-UP COMEDY EXAMINED [EP. 119]
It’s time to analyze stand-up comedy! Today we dig knee deep into how to turn a funny thought into a full blown comedy bit. I am interviewed by Rick Altizer on his radio show which airs here in Nashville Saturday mornings at 9:30 on 106.3 FM. Rick is a songwriter, recording artist, music producer, film director and all around phenomenal talent. He produced the feature film Chonda Pierce – Laughing In The Dark and is working on her next movie as we speak.
He picks my brain on how to write stand-up comedy and what makes comedians tick. Specifically we talk about:
- The definition of a Christian comedian
- Reading an audience and picking the best material
- How I added teaching and coaching to my stand-up comedy career
- Why isolating laugh triggers helped me move from middle act to headliner
- How comics can layer techniques into their punchline to guarantee a laugh
- Exploring a punchline to see where you can take the joke further
- The process of writing stand-up comedy
- The importance of letting things “marinade”
- Examining your material
- How you can parlay the punch line into something more powerful
- The importance of creating a true connection
- The right amount of self-deprecating humor and when to pull back
- Why making fun of yourself first is necessary before picking on others
- What is truly shocking in today’s comedy world
- Using comedy to open the door to deeper conversations
And so much more …
ABOUT RIK ALTIZER:
The Rick Altizer Show is a weekly 30-minute program that interviews Nashville artists, directors, song writers and industry leaders. Host Rick Altizer is himself part of the entertainment industry—as a songwriter, recording artist, music producer and film director. This program focuses on how the truth of the Gospel is communicated through the entertainment medium in today’s culture.
WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR STAND-UP COMEDY TO BE ON THE PODCAST?
I am looking for a few listeners who have new premises they would like to brainstorm. If you have the ability to RECORD your set, I would love to have you on the show! We will brainstorm over a Google Hangout, then you will need to bring back an audio clip within two weeks to include in the show.
Limited time 20% off coupon code for online courses!
Use coupon code “20POD20” for 20% off any online comedy writing class during the month of September, 2016. Just enter that coupon code at check out to reduce your investment by 20%. Visit THIS PAGE to view the course offerings.