Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
GREG WARREN – TRUST YOUR GUT [EP. 126]
Greg Warren (most recently seen on Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Late Show and Comedy Central Presents) has built a strong fan base with an act inspired by his Midwestern upbringing. His CDs, Running Out of Time (Sept 2013) and One Star Wonder (June 2009) hit #3 and #6 respectively in iTunes Top Comedy Albums. An honest mix of self-deprecation, frustration and an arsenal of lifelike characters highlight Greg’s colorful perspective.
More importantly than all that, Greg is my buddy and we had a chance to sit down and talk about the craft of creating comedy. Specifically, I ask Greg Warren about:
- Having a joke cut from some tv shows and not others
- The benefit of picking on yourself first before anyone else
- Getting good before going full time
- Digging into his previous sales job at Proctor & Gamble for jokes
- Wondering if he would work at Denny’s forever
- Selling Duncan Hines to “Sak-n-Sav” in Texas
- Finding a “way in” to write jokes about previous experiences
- One experience I should be writing about!
- Advice from comedian Ron Morey that helped Greg get rolling faster
- How he goes about getting a set ready for late night tv
- What jokes work better on late night shows
- Why “tags” don’t work as well on late night shows.
- Working with Billy Gardell on his Mike And Molly audition material
- Performing on Seth Myers when Billy was guest hosting
- His wrestling mocumentary “Stall Camp”
- Bouncing ideas off of fellow comics
- His new exclusive CD project with Laughs USA/SiriusXM
and much, much more!
GREG WARREN INFO
You can find out a lot more about greg Warren on his website: http://www.gregwarrencomedy.com
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.