Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
005 GET PLAYED ON SIRIUS-XM & PANDORA (podcast)
Rik answers questions about SiriusXm, turning conversations into stage material and avoiding being a comedy clone.
After a recent writing class in Nashville we gather around the microphone as if it were a campfire.
In this episode Gavin (producer and aspiring comedian) discusses his first open mic appearance and what he learned from the experience.
- Not to give yourself too much to remember
- How to work through stage fright
- The importance of editing
Rik offer tips for new comics such as:
- Know your opening and closing bit inside and out
- Ask yourself “What am I trying to say?” when defining your premise
Questions from students include:
- Mike Spencer asks how to take the quick spontaneous wit he displays during conversations and apply it stand-up comedy.
- Andrew Davis wants to know when to record a CD, how to set up a channel on Pandora, and how to get played on SiriusXM Radio.
- Patrick Ebbit wants to know about regional differences and pronunciations of words. Patrick also asks about trends in styles of comedy and what to avoid.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF LAUGHS PODCAST
This podcast is designed to help the aspiring comedian or platform speaker get funnier, faster. Workshops are taught live and can also be taken online at www.SchoolOfLaughs.com.
Better yet, subscribe to the monthly School of Laughs “Insider Tips” monthly email and get exclusive information delivered right to your inbox. It’s fast, free useful and fun.
Email: SchoolOfLaughs@gmail.com and put “insider tip sheet” in the subject header. I’ll make sure you get the official tip sheet and I promise to keep your email anonymous and spam free.
You may also use that email to send in questions.