At age 14, Derrick Tennant, was pursuing his dream for a career in sports when one evening in 1985 he laid down and did not wake up for three days.
He had undergone what doctors would later term “random bleeding from point ‘x’ for an unknown reason”. Paralyzed and in a coma, Derrick underwent brain surgery from which he became unable to move the left side of his body. It would take years of therapy to re-learn the basics like walking, talking and simple daily tasks. Derrick is still unable to use his left arm and he walks with a limp, but he has learned a lot through this process.
Derrick Tennant credits one thing for his ability to make it through this process not only alive, but also learning and growing: LOVE. Receiving love from his family, his friends, and his God combined with learning to better demonstrate love in the midst of difficulty were essential to Derrick’s survival.
- We cover a lot in this interview, including …
- When and why he moved to Atlanta
- Having a headache that turned into a coma and then brain surgery
- Being 14 and in a wheelchair
- Dealing with “looks, discrimination, strange treatment” after coma
- Riding an “invalid coach” and then playing for one in the Philippines
- How humor has helped him get through the tough times
- Hosting talent shows in college
- Running the REV’D Up Comedy Jam
- Developing new comedians
- Derrick’s sister JULIE who is also insipiring
- Creating a two new DVD’s before end of the year
and much, much more!
To learn more about Derrick Tennant follow any of the links below!
Support the podcast through PATREON
A listener recently told me about Patreon and I totally love this concept.
In a nutshell, in exchange for a small RECURRING monthly donation of your choice, you gain access to many extra opportunities to interact with the show. My favorite bonus is our very own, private “School Of Laughs Patreon News Feed”. Think of it as a Facebook page without all the drama. In this feed I will post exclusive articles, bonus podcasts and more. And of course, you will be invited to share ideas and support other listeners of the show!
Please click this link: PATREON INFO .