Today’s podcast “Grinding It Out While Still At A Job” is brought to you by Patreon supporter John Schuster. To learn how you can support podcast through a small, monthly donation, visit Patreon.com/SchoolOfLaughs
Grinding It Out While Still At A Day Job
I’m joined today by former School of Laughs student Lee Hardin to discuss what it’s like 3 years into the grind. Still working a day job to pay the bills, Lee has started to get some traction in his act and is now getting some bookings. He allows us a peek inside his progress.
Specifically, we talk about:
- His early love of comedy
- His transition into being more conversational onstage
- What he learned at a recent showcase at Zanies in Chicago
- How cumulative stage time has paid off
- A bad habit he noticed he picked up
- Learning what material works where
- Making your material accessible
- Booked shows that go nowhere
- Performing in Jackson, TN at South Street
- Hustling gigs on the phone
- Building a website on Square Space
- Using “Bands in Town” to list upcoming dates
- Getting paid gigs
- Working with Hacksaw Jim Duggan
- Getting rid of debt
- Working a flexible job to accommodate last minute bookings
We also mentioned Nora Canfield who does incredible photography for comedians.
Find out more about Lee at www.LeeHardinComedy.com and how he is grinding it out and cranking up the laughs.
CLUB 52 IS THE ONLY WEEKLY PROGRAM
DESIGNED 100% FOR COMEDIANS!
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.