Mike James joins us today to talk about cruises, corporate gigs and leaving the software field to go full time into comedy. Thanks to Patreon supporter Christy Largent and to the Hot Breath podcast with Joel Byars for sponsoring this episode. To learn how you can support the podcast check out www.SchoolOfLaughs.com/Patreon.
Mike James is a clean comedian based the Phoenix, AZ area. After working as a software engineer for many years (including coding EXCEL) he decided to go full time into his comedy career.
We cover a lot of ground in this episode. Mike is especially interesting because he started full time much later in life. People often ask me about starting comedy at a later stage life. In fact we covered it in STARTING COMEDY LATE IN LIFE [EP. 108] with Rex Havens awhile back. Rex also left a big time job when he didn’t have to to pursue comedy.
Mike James and I talk about:
- Having the “comedy discussion” with his wife
- Being initially inspired by his son’s love of improv comedy
- Getting his start in Phoenix area
- Importance of delegating what isn’t your strong suit
- Moving beyond clubs to corporate gigs
- Exploring work on cruise ships
- Booking cruise ship gigs
- How to STAY booked on cruise ships
- The challenge of filling a LOT of time on cruise ships
- Staying focused while on a cruise
- Starting Cross-Eyed Comedy with Brian Kohatsu
and much, much more.
Find out more about Mike James at his web site: MikeJamesComedy.com
Episode Sponsors …
This episode is sponsored by PATREON supporter Christy Largent and the “HOT BREATH” PODCAST with JOEL BYARS. Hot Breath focuses on Stand-Up just like the School of Laughs. Trust me, you will dig it!