Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
031 JOKE THIEVES – STOLEN LAUGHTER (podcast)
Joke thieves are everywhere. Just when you least expect it, your favorite routine that you’ve worked years to perfect is stolen. And it’s on TV nonetheless!
What do you do? Drop the joke? Confront the thief?
As long as there have been stories, there have also been “raconteurs” who have borrowed bits and pieces to embellish and call their own.
Today’s episode covers a variety of aspects of “creative interpretation” and how to deal with them.
Specifically, we talk about:
- The most famous incidents in recent history
- How to avoid joke thieves in the first place
- The benefit and risk of posting material to YouTube
- Why bookers sometime look the other way when they know a joke thief is guilty.
- Why stealing jokes won’t pay off in the long run.
- “Sideways” writing and premise theft
- How cell phones have made open mics more honest
And much, much more.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE INSIDER TIP SHEET
Get exclusive information delivered right to your inbox. The tip sheet is full of comedy news, blog recaps, podcast summaries and a monthly challenge to get your comedy career on the right track.
Just email: SchoolOfLaughs@gmail.com and put “Insider Tip Sheet” in the subject header. Let me know how long you’ve been at it and where you are based. I promise to keep your email anonymous and spam free.
DOES YOUR WRITING NEED HELP?
If you feel your writing is holding you back, please consider enrolling in the online writing class. Creating sets and getting stage time won’t help one bit if you aren’t creating solid material. For more info on that click here.