Comedians Jonnie W. and Brian Bates join us today to talk about the differences and similarities between church, corporate and comedy club gigs. We each primarily perform in a different environment. Jonnie plays mostly in churches, Brian is comedy clubs and I’m usually off at a corporate event.
In clubs there are “A” rooms, “B” rooms, etc., but is that true for the other niches? We dig in and talk about it. Can a “B” room improved not an “A” room? Can a “B” slip into a “C”?
We also talk about what our ideal audience and set up would be like.
CHURCH, CORPORATE AND COMEDY CLUB GIGS SHOW NOTES
We cover a lot, specifically …
- How NOT to dip your TOE into show business
- “Coaching” the event planner prior to the show
- The importance of restroom location
- Tell tale signs of a “B” room
- The last time we each went long by mistake
- Learning how to land on a punchline at short notice
- When it’s a “first time” how you can help the venue
- Why scoring an 8 out of 10 at a corporate gig is actually a 12
- How to overcome a tired audience at a corporate event
- The double edged sword of customized material
- Ways you can “sneak in” customized material
- Why you don’t bring up Michael Vick
- Should wear headphones in the bathroom
- Reasons why women are so great!
This episode is brought to you by Patreon supporter Greg Smrdel and by CLUB 52.
Club 52 is a one-year program designed to challenge you to get bigger, better and more bookable. You will be prompted to examine your material, performance and business practices via email each week.
You will define your stage persona, style and point of view. You will learn how to create expectations through your marketing, branding and introductions. From nailing your elevator pitch, to refining your value proposition, you will learn how to make it easier for bookers to hire you.
Meet comics from around the country during a quarterly online “hangout”. As a group, we tackle our top struggles and how to approach overcoming them. Think of it as your personal monthly mastermind group. Over the course of the year you will learn how to get more gigs, and leverage every opportunity that comes your way.
Club 52 is available to anyone supporting the podcast through Patreon at $7 a month or more. To learn more about Patreon, just click here. Or go to SchoolOflaughs.com/Patreon