Today I am joined by one of my students “Straussie”. Straussie took the Stand-Up Comedy Level One: Writing class back in February. Then he followed through with the Level Two: Performance Class and the Business of Comedy Class. I could tell right away this guy doesn’t mess around. He is serious about things and is now nine months into stand-up comedy.
STRAUSSIE SHOW NOTES
We talk a little about his growing up in Australia and his move ten years or so ago to America to pursue the music business. He is still part of that industry as a production manager for a country music artist. That job has served him well as he has made many connections with folks who are gifted in a variety of skills that compliment his development as a comedian.
We talk about the ups and downs and challenges of getting yourself started in the world of stand-up comedy. Specifically, we talk about:
- Taking the comedy writing class and seeing what goes into being a great comedian
- Utilizing friendships and connections to help with his web site
- Using SquareSpace to host his site
- Hiring a rock and roll photographer to shoot his pictures
- Using a white background so he could easily photoshop them
- Hiring out his graphics through Fiverr
- One message his site is sending that he didn’t see coming
- The challenge of finding time for everything that goes into stand-up
- Producing his own comedy show “Straussie With Mates” in Nashville
- The benefit of hosting that show
- The format and the style of the show
- How he promoted the show and how many turned out
- What he learned form the experience
- The importance of creating deadlines
- His Presidential Race video, https://youtu.be/J4KrHGzy9Zc
- Parkinson’s Law and how it applies to the comedy business
- Developing his YouTube channel, uploading videos
- What he learned at the CLEAN COMEDY CONFERENCE in San Diego
- Some advice he got that he needs to now implement
- What he has planned for the remainder of the year
and a whole lot more!
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.
Questions? Email me (Rik) at SchoolOfLaughs@gmail.com. Or call 1-888-895-8549. Or. if you are ready, head on over to www.Patreon.com/SchoolOfLaughs to get started.