Have you ever wondered about submitting to comedy festivals? Curious as to what your video should look like? How long it should be? What kind of website you should have to support the festival bookers search for more information?
This episode is brought to you by Patreon Sponsor Greg Adams.
Matt Ward, stand up comedian and festival planner, joins us to day to discuss all things comedy festival! Matt knows a lot about how committees choose comedians, because he’s done it. Matt Ward is involved with both the Cape Fear Comedy Festival and the Scruffy City Comedy Festival.
When it comes to submitting to comedy festivals we cover a lot of ground, including:
- How Matt first discovered comedy
- His first performance (which took place at a birthday party)
- Insight into the Knoxville, TN comedy scene
- Video length for submitting to comedy festivals
- The best platform to host your videos when submitting to comedy festivals
- Why high quality video hosting may be a bad thing
- The simplicity involved in shooting video
- Several mistakes comics make with their videos
- How to save time and make it easier for those watching your clips
- Why you shouldn’t monetize a festival submission video
- Why you might not get selected even though you deserve to be picked
- The evolution of head shots and some key things to consider
And much, much more!
Submitting to comedy festivals doesn’t have to be hard. Follow Matt Ward’s tips and good luck!
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.
Questions? Email me (Rik) at SchoolOfLaughs@gmail.com. Or call 1-888-895-8549. Or. if you are ready, head on over to www.Patreon.com/SchoolOfLaughs to get started.