Leaving a job as lawyer for State Farm Insurance would be unthinkable. For most people anyway. Fortunately for us, Rex Havens side-hustled as a comedian on weekends and nights for seven years until he was ready to make the jump. He started comedy late in life (mid-thirties). That jump was over two decades ago and he is still going strong.
I first met Rex when we worked at “Coo’s Coo’s Lounge” at a Bowling Alley in Cartersville, IL. Yes, we had arrived! Wow, looking back neither of us should have been there. The show was good and I learned that you could really work clean in ANY environment.
Today I catch up with Rex to see what he is up to, what he has learned, and where he is headed in his comedy career.
Specifically, we talk about:
- The value in working a little extra hard on your act
- Graduating with a law degree and an M.B.A.
- His years as a college professor
- The State Farm years (12 of them)
- Hanging around the corporate job long enough to get his kids in college
- Making marriage last while traveling
- “Birthing” a new CD
- Developing a one man theatre show
- 3 things that happen when you laugh
Today’s episode is brought to you by Patreon supporter Susan Sussman.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.
Questions? Email me (Rik) at SchoolOfLaughs@gmail.com. Or call 1-888-895-8549. Or. if you are ready, head on over to www.Patreon.com/SchoolOfLaughs to get started.