Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
029 GOING FULL TIME INTO COMEDY – BRIAN BATES (podcast)
Going full time into comedy can be intimidating. Leaving the comfort of a job with benefits for a life on the road is a dream for some folks. For others, it is a nightmare. Former School Of Laughs student Brian Bates flipped the switch this past month after twenty years at a TV station job where he probably could have retired. Brian shares the process he took – and the sacrifices he is willing to make – in order to become a full time comedian.
Specifically, we talk about:
- Why he took a class in the first place
- Juggling jokes and the day job
- Early networking that paid off
- Why hanging out at your home club is worth it
- How being heckled has paid off
- The importance of saving some bucks
Gavin asks Brian about:
- How much stage time he needed to go pro
- Writing believable material
- Writing for others (for money)
- Becoming a regional “go to guy” for Headliners to request
- How to get killer audio by working for free
- Getting paid by SiriusXM
NEVER MISS A PODCAST OR A POST
DOES YOUR WRITING NEED HELP?
If you feel your writing is holding you back, please consider enrolling in the online writing class. Creating sets and getting stage time won’t help one bit if you aren’t creating solid material. For more info on that click here.