Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
086 TURN YOUR STAND-UP COMEDY INTO A SPEECH (podcast)
Have you ever thought that you have more to offer an audience than laughter? Being a comedian is perfectly admirable all by itself. No doubt. But do you have more to offer? Feel like you are missing out on your calling?
Today, as I was catching up with former student Chris Cherry, one random question led us down a path of potentially redirecting his career. And I think this is a potential path for anyone who has skills or expertise already in place outside of stand-up.
Listen in as we discuss:
- The changes in his act during the past 8 years
- Early material vs today
- His job as a mentor to middle school kids
- Getting inspired to do comedy at age 5
- Trusting his gut and ditching a set en route to his first show
- Joining forces with other comics (enthusiastically)
- The ideal gigs he is after
- HOW HIS BACKGROUND MAY BE THE KEY TO HIS FUTURE
- Networking struggles on the road
- Tips on getting to know managers
- The power of EVERNOTE in developing relationships
- Web site tweaks
- and why A.C.N.E. might be the best thing to happen to CHRIS!
If converting your stand-up into a speech is on your radar, let me know. I might put together an online course if there is enough interest. This combination of a comedy act plus a message has enabled me to reach more audiences on both fronts and can be a tool for you as well.
If you have ideas for Chris and the program we talk about, feel free to forward them onto me at SchoolOfLaugh@gmail.com. Or connect with him on Instagram, Facebook or his web site:
If you think you might need some help writing jokes, editing your premise and creating punchlines thick with techniques, consider taking the online stand-up comedy writing course offered by the School Of Laughs. Use the coupon code below for 20% off. Click the pic to learn more.