On this episode I sit down with Lucy Sinsheimer, Zanies Comedy Showplace in Nashville, TN to talk about managing a comedy club.
MANAGING A COMEDY CLUB SHOW NOTES
We cover a lot of ground about managing a comedy club in this episode, including:
- The first comedy show she ever attended (Kathy Griffin)
- How she got her foot in the door at the Comedy Zone
- When she made the move to Nashville to work at Zanies
- How helpful (or not) college helped with managing a club
- The role social media plays in today’s comedy club
- Geo-Targeting potential customers on Facebook
- The new Stand Up Live Comedy Club in Huntsville, AL
- How there is no substitute for open mic stage time
- How technology and social media can overrun a work day
- Headliners bringing there own features and how that affects stage time
- Finding your comedic voice
- Co-writing with other comedians
- Not being afraid to try new material
- The importance of being able to work clean
- How important is social media for the beginning comedian?
- Being creative in your social posts
- What she wished she would have known before managing a club
- The difficulty in “always” being in work mode even away from work
- Being starstruck a little at having Chris Rock at the club
- Getting to hang out at the “comic’s table” with Dave Attell at the Comedy Cellar
- Watching Kathleen Madigan develop an hour of comedy during her residency
- and much, much more!
If you love discovering comedy tips like this please consider joining our INSIDER TIP SHEET. Each month you’l’l receive an email with over a dozen links to articles online about stand-up comedy. Also included are blog recaps and articles written by myself or other School Of Laughs friends. Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “INSIDER TIP SHEET” in the heading and you’ll join over 1000 comedians who stay in the loop with top comedy tips and news!
CLUB 52 IS THE ONLY WEEKLY PROGRAM
DESIGNED 100% FOR COMEDIANS!
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.