Sign up for our
Podcast and Blog
STAND UP COMEDY FIRST STEPS [EP. 144]
On this episode I sit down with two of my current writing class students to discuss their Stand Up Comedy First Steps. Beginning stand up comedy can definitely be confusing. I try to help guide them in directions that will result in quick wins and momentum.
We cover a lot of ground in this episode, including:
- Tips for developing characters in your set, specifically real people you know
- How often do you work in new jokes to your set?
- Working on your new jokes until they are solid and then “setting them to the side”
- The benefit of working on 3-5 minute chunks at a time
- Finding out your best material by having your worst set
- Why new jokes sometimes get the biggest laughs
- Reviewing your set from the audience’s perspective
- Finding success in the struggle
- What are good goals for your first year?
And a whole lot more.
If you love discovering comedy tips like this please consider joining our INSIDER TIP SHEET. Each month you’l’l receive an email with over a dozen links to articles online about stand-up comedy. Also included are blog recaps and articles written by myself or other School Of Laughs friends.
CLUB 52 IS THE ONLY WEEKLY PROGRAM
DESIGNED 100% FOR COMEDIANS!
“Club 52” is a 52 week, email based stand-up program. It will include a weekly challenge designed to help you become a better comedian. This year long program will feature an email every Friday from me. I will ask you to take a serious look at some of your business practices, writing processes, performance techniques, branding, marketing and a whole lot more.
The program starts the week you join and continues for 52 weeks as long as you are still supporting the podcast through Patreon at the $7 a month level.